Tuesday, September 11, 2007

As the winds blow colder...

And the nights grow longer, me thinks we really need new windows. Now I know this open up a whole other debate about original verses replacement windows, however, we do not have the original windows in our house. Ours are crappy Sears replacement windows from 1970 something, so we need new ones. Now with 26 windows that need replacing, that is quite the budget buster, if we had one. Before this winter I had hoped to have the exterior lead paint stripped off all the windows and the three windows in my dtr's room replaced and our two windows replaced. Even with the storm windows on you can see through a crack right outside. This can be quite drafty during January around 2am or so. But then we had water damage to our basement. So there went our window budget. But now I'm thinking we just need to find a way to get those windows.
I have not figured out a way to get to my daughter's windows with falling off of the little roof on the porch. (Speaking of that room, can anyone tell me an easy way to cool it off in the summer and have it retain heat in the winter? It is well insulated, except for the lovely exterior wall, but all our rooms have that issue, so I don't know why that room is such a problem. What am I missing?)
Anyway, windows, basement and bathroom. Hmmmm not a lot to do...right tell it to dear hubby. :-)

2 comments:

StuccoHouse said...

Can you find a local woodworker that can make your windows a couple at a time? You would probably get pretty good quality wood windows....and it would make a nice work load for a smaller shop. I lucked out by finding a local guy that makes wood storms. In the meantime, 3M window plastic...keeps me from freezing :-)

For the small room.....get a ceiling fan. I would have never, ever thought of it...but the PO of my house installed them in 3 rooms. They have a switch that changes direction by season. So, the move warm air down in the winter and cold air in the summer. It really works!

Our Little Bungalow said...

We got the fans, and I never thought of having the windows custom made.....wonder what that would cost me........
Thanks!