Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sooo frustrated

Ok so in previous posts I had stated we choose to paint the cream trim white. Now I like my wood trim an actual wood color, silly of me I know. Yesterday while hubs was sleeping from working the night shift, a bug crawled up my butt and I grabbed some soy paint stripper, (which by the way SUCKS) and thought I'd try stripping something we knew we needed to stip when we would get to the stairs. (In the next 30 years or so.)
So I applied the stipper, wrapped in cling wrap like a good little girl. Let it sit until it was nice and bubbly. Well paint stripping sucks. Anyone who paints wood trim for the first time ought to be shot. It's going to take us years to strip everything in this house. So everything BUT the staircase stuff is going to painted white for now and stripping will be next winter's project.
So guys, what paint strippers do you recommend? Besides the Silent Paint Remover, which I can't afford right now..........

2 comments:

Chris said...

I've stripped entire rooms with standard paint stripper - I think Zip strip is one of them. I have not been happy with Peel Away though I have seen other bloggers have more success. I got a Speedheater - cost wise, I think between the gallons of remover, thinner, and cleanup products, it saved me money. The initial cost is very hard to swaloow but go compute how much of that soy stuff you would go through in a room. It is a little shocking.

Completely Coastal said...

After one trial of stripping our wood moldings I decided not to do it and to simply sand, prime and paint. You can check it out and view a picture in my July Archive (http://coastalthemehome.blogspot.com/2007_07_01_archive.html)